If you are an affiliate marketer then there are some things you want to keep in mind as you look for affiliate programs to join. Otherwise, you might do like some affiliate marketers and make the wrong choices. Most affiliate marketers make one of the following mistakes that cost them dearly in the long run:
- Research – If you don’t research your affiliate programs before you join them you will likely pick the wrong one and regret it later.
- Your own domain – Many affiliate rely too much on someone else’s domain name. Get your own domain and web hosting account. Don’t settle for next to nothing. It is very inexpensive to buy a domain ($10/year or less) and host it ($3-$10 per month).
- Do your own writing – You can hire a ghostwriter, but why would you? Write your sales copy yourself. Put your personality into it. Don’t let someone else define your business.
- Use the product – I can’t believe some people join affiliate programs without trying the product first. Actually, I can. But this just makes no sense. Your recommending the product or service. Don’t you want to know if it works?
- One affiliate program – Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. Join more than one affiliate program.
- Don’t join too many affiliate programs - Some affiliate marketers make the opposite mistake and join too many programs. You won’t be able to focus and you’ll be ineffective at marketing all of them. Don’t do that to yourself.
I hope these help when you scout around for affiliate programs to join. You can avoid these mistakes with a little planning and effective advertising.