One of the most important ways you can protect your brand online is to own a domain name. In fact, you should probably own more than one. But if you are a solopreneur or an individual with multiple interests then you should get a domain name that focuses entirely upon you. Your name. Your brand.
There are several reasons for doing this:
- Reputation Management – It’s just easier to manage your reputation from one hub.
- Branding – You can brand your personal name just as well as you can brand your company name. And a website with a brandable domain name is the first step to doing so.
- A Personal Hub Of Interests – Since inbound links are important and you know that, why not build inbound links from a personal, brandable website that you own. Let’s say you have a company website, a niche product website, a hobby website, and an affiliate website. Suppose none of those sites are really related to each other in any way other than that you own them. For instance, your company site is a service company whereas your niche product is a product in an entirely unrelated field. Then you are an affiliate of a product that is unrelated to both of them. And, of course, your hobby is unrelated to all of that. You can tie them all together by making your personal site a hub from which all the others link even if they don’t link to each other (and shouldn’t).
- Link Mojo – Because you are linking from your personal hub to each of your unrelated websites, you can create relevance to your linking strategy, making it more effective and giving a boost in search rankings to each of your websites.
- One-Stop Information Source About You – There will undoubtedly be people interested in learning more about you. Where will you send them? Why not to your personal hub so that people who want to know more about you can get it all in one place?
I highly recommend everyone get a personal hub, especially if they own several web properties and plan to do business online for a long time…sometimes it goes beyond search engine optimization!