The more I perform search engine optimization tasks for myself and my clients the more I realize just how important keyword research is. It is so important that I wouldn’t think of doing anything online until I have performed thorough keyword research and I’m satisfied that after having done this step of the process that I can settle on a particular niche or sub-niche based on my findings. Just to be clear, I wouldn’t go any further into the marketing process until I was sure that I had done enough keyword research.
Whether you are going to use your research for search engine optimization or pay per click advertising campaign, it is a vital step in the process. Even if you are conducting social media marketing, keyword research can be helpful. You don’t want to leave it out.
Here are some of the things that keyword research can help you make decisions on before you even start your marketing:
- The specific niche you want to serve
- Are there any lucrative sub-niches within your niche?
- What the most powerful and profitable keywords within your niche are
- What keywords your competitors are focusing on
- Keyword trending over periods of time
- You can identify keywords that are not useful to you at all
- Potential negative keywords for use in PPC
- How much you can expect to spend on your marketing efforts with the keywords you are planning to target
- Which keywords can easily be placed into groups for more effective management
As you can see, identifying the right keywords is very important – and, I might add, profitable. This step of the marketing process is so important that I wouldn’t even think about marketing online until I’ve done it to satisfaction.