Did you know you can optimize your website with your phone number? It’s absolutely true. With your area code and seven digit phone number you can search engine optimize your local business website for local traffic.
Here are a few tips to help you do that better:
- Include the full 10-digit number with your area code
- Put your phone number as near the top of the page as possible
- Include your phone number in a couple of alt tags on your pages
- Add the phone number to your footer and header on your website
- Emplace bold or strong tags around your phone number once or twice
- Also include a geographic place name near your phone number a few times
Even if you don’t target your website specifically to local traffic, by adding your phone number in your website content you are optimizing your site locally. If local people do not find you by keywords they may find you by searching for an area code along with keywords or through Google or Yahoo! maps. But there’s one other way people can find you and that will likely be an attractive method of contact for many consumers in the future. Skype.
Skype now includes a browser plugin that allows searchers to call a phone number through Skype simply by clicking the number in the HTML. The plugin actually converts the text phone number to a Skype hyperlink for that purpose. By using your phone number on your web pages, even if you don’t target your business locally, you increase the chances of you being contacted by website visitors.