SEO is a game where winning is a temporary condition. Quite frequently, companies pour dollar after dollar in attaining the highest rankings only to see their sites fall in the rankings just as quickly as they rose. Often, even more quickly.
That’s why you need to keep your search engine optimization team occupied full time. Search engine rankings rise and fall with the tide. They are not a constant. There are several reasons for this:
- Search algorithms change frequently (Google has publicly admitted they tweak their’s daily)
- Your competition is working hard to outdo you in the SEO rat race
- Sometimes an update can cause search engine rankings to tumble and rumble until they settle
- At any given time you may see your search engine rankings in one place or another due to which server your browser is retrieving information from
- Personalization could be causing you to get an unrealistic view of your own rankings
If it seems that you are working hard on your search engine optimization and you aren’t getting anywhere, keep in mind that there may be a good reason for it. A lot of times it isn’t anything you are doing wrong. If you do have a problem with your website that causing your website to fall in the rankings then you’ll likely know the reason why. It could be architecture issues, link issues, algorithm changes, keyword management issues, or even duplicate content issues. All of these, with the exception of search algorithms, can be fixed. Don’t get discouraged.