When shopping around for a search engine optimization firm or SEO service provider it is important to realize that there are some things that will always be out of the control of any person regardless what they say to you over the phone. As marketers we have the knowledge of what search engines really like to see but nobody has the power to changes things in the search results as they please.
Here are five things that no SEO person has control over regardless of what they might tell you:
1. Search Results: Any honest search engine marketing person will tell you right away that they don’t have any control of search results or even the search engines as a whole. You won’t know how many people I speak with that say that someone else told them they had a “special” relationship with Google and when they need a website to rank it does, not a chance. Run as far as you can from anyone that says this.
2. Visitors: SEO is not paid advertising. We cannot control how many people visit your website. Search engine optimization does not work this way nor can we put a number on this question. We can see how much search volume exists for certain keywords but that is about it. Nobody can guarantee how many visitors you will get to your website for performing search engine marketing efforts.
3. Sales: If your website conversion factors are not completely in place than nobody is going to buy anything. It is important to understand that you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink so if your product is flawed or your website structure is off than all the marketing in the world won’t get a person to pull out their credit card and make a purchase.
4. Search Engine Rankings: You cannot predict when your website is going to get the rankings you desire. You have to be realistic with your expectations as well. If you are trying to rank for a very highly competitive keyword phrases and you just launched your website it just not realistic to expect you will be on the first page of a search results in two months.
5. Success: You can’t expect to grow your entire company from just hiring an SEO company. If you are waiting for your entire business to grow just from your SEO that you just started you might want to rethink that approach. Search engine optimization works best when many different wheels are spinning trying to grow the business. Don’t put your eggs into one basket and just wait for the search engine optimization efforts alone to grow your business.
It all really comes down to understanding exactly the type of relationship that you are looking for with you service provider or if you have the ability and time to learn how to optimize and build your SEO efforts on your own. Either way the bottom line is be realistic and diversify your online and search marketing efforts!