The discussion over search engine optimization or social media is pretty much dead. All online marketers today pretty much agree that both are necessary to maintain a full online and search engine marketing presence. To be successful at marketing yourself online you should pursue as many avenues as possible to keep your brand in front of consumers.
So the question is, how should SEO and social media work together for the betterment of your marketing?
There’s probably as many answers to this question as their are marketers. To be sure, there’s no one definitive way to use social media and SEO to market your business. But there are some simple principles to help guide you in your quest to dominate your niche.
- Define yourself first. Develop a mission statement and USP and make everything you do work toward fulfilling those.
- Don’t get sidetracked. It’s easy to do. You can locked into social media for hours and get nothing accomplished, or you can spend hours conducting keyword research only to come up with keywords that don’t really define what you do. Keep it focused.
- Once you define what your business is all about, let SEO take the helm. Build your website around your core keywords and make social media play the supporting role in driving traffic to your website. Even if social media is your primary traffic driving source, it should focus in the direction of your core keywords, giving SEO the nod.
- Re-evaluate periodically. You should conduct a self evaluation every month, but not extensively. Just check to make sure you are staying focused. But once a quarter, or every 6 months at least, you should conduct an extensive re-evaluation to ensure that you are staying true to your goals and to make sure that you don’t need to change directions – sometimes you do. Self evaluation is very important.
- Connect with your market. The bottom line is you need to connect with the people you want to do business with. If you aren’t doing that then your SEO and social media campaigns will flop. Ask yourself, how best can I connect with my core market? When all else fails, ask your core market.
It’s no longer a question of optimization or social media? It is now, how can I use both SEO and social media to increase my share of the pie.