So you’ve built your website and you’ve SEOd it to the hilt, but what if it doesn’t work? First, you have to determine why it isn’t working, if it is indeed not working. One mistake new webmasters make when they don’t see instant results is to assume that it isn’t working. But quality search engine optimization takes time. If you don’t see results from your SEO you might want to wait awhile to see if it actually isn’t working because you may not have given it enough time.
But let’s say you’ve waited a good six months and you don’t have any pages indexed at any of the search engines. What could be the problem? Honestly, it could be any number of things:
- Do you have a sitemap? If not, you may want to add a sitemap
- Are you doing any link building? You should try to get some inbound links to your website
- The obvious thing is your keywords; is your website optimized properly?
- How much code do you have? Some file types use a lot of code. If your site is made up entirely of Flash then it likely won’t get indexed.
- Are you using a template? Check your template files. They may be poorly SEOd
Rarely will a website just not indexed at all. You may be targeting the wrong keywords and just don’t see your website’s ranking because your optimization efforts hit the wrong targets. If you need help identifying the problem, seek a qualified search engine optimization professional.