There is no rule book on how a business should be writing blog posts on their website. Just getting a small business to write something in their blog is a great start. It has been proven that just writing blog posts delivers a significant amount of internet traffic to a website than a website without a blog. Blogs should have some sort of structure on what kind of topics you want to write about, but it is ok to stray depending on your business type.
Here are some approaches you can take when first starting off with a company blog:
1. Industry – If you have a business that can benefit from a national audience as well as a local one writing about industry related news could really help a business become visible to a much wider audience. Try writing about some popular industry news relatively early to get your post ranking before some of your competitors write about the same topic.
2. Local News – If you own a small business and only target local traffic try stepping into the shoes of your audience and think about what types of information they might be interested in looking for. Anything related to your immediate surroundings that your audience might be searching for will allow you to find people in a different manner that might be interested in your business.
3. Products – Do you have products at your store that you also sell online? As new products come into your shop write a fun blog post with some attractive photos talking about your opinion on a specific product. Write at least 300 words in your post and include a few quality photos and over time that post will rank in the search engines for the product name.
4. Store Culture – An approach that some take is to only write about store or office culture. Things that happen in the store that is worth writing about that will give your business a personality. This approach allows you to build a strong following of cheerleaders that really enjoy your brand over time.
5. Little of Everything – You can also take an approach that combines a bit off all the above approaches until you find one or two that you like the best. A small business blog that utilizes all of these approaches will create a nice internet voice that a small business can grow over time.
All small businesses should have some sort of blog that can be the voice of their business. Even if your business is a small local establishment it still needs some sort of voice for your audience to listen to. Over time some of the audience could turn into good quality customers.