Website copywriting and Search Engine Optimization is not easy to do. But if you decide that you are up to the task be careful of the following things they are a dead turn off for prospects. Missing these things will make your visitor a prospect for your competition versus a covert for your site!
1. Double-check for errors-nothing is more embarrassing than finding a typo in your copy after its been published and viewed by the public. Worse still is the transposing of numbers. We all do both but double check and make sure that they stay in the email to your friend not in your sales copy.
2. Avoid overselling – assume your audience is hesitant, they have read other sites and direct mail campaigns. Pitch your messages in more modest and honest ways. Give readers enough credit to make up their own minds.
3. Don’t be bland – keep the copy engaging, invite your readers to continue down the page.
4. Turn negatives to positives – we all know that bleaching products for teeth will remove the age from teeth. Saying that teeth look older is not going to keep the reader engaged, but if you instead remark that the product will make them look years younger….they are intrigued.
5. Remember the medium - four out of five web users will scan rather than read pages. All this means that applying special writing disciplines to the Web will pay off.
Following up in making sure that all of these items are carefully monitored will give you a leg up in the marketing arena. While they take out the typical marketeze, they bring the visitor in and will entice them to read more.
When you start to think about Search Engine Optimization during this process, please always think to write your content for humans first and search engines second!